The iconic French historical drama, Casanova, directed by Alexandre Volkoff and set in 1760s Venice, stars renowned silent film actor Ivan Mosjoukine as the famous philanderer Giacomo Casanova in a flamboyant spectacle of romance, comedy, and intrigue. Flicker Alley, in partnership with the Blackhawk Films® Collection, Lobster Films, and the Giornate del Cinema Muto (Pordenone, Italy) is honored to present this newly restored edition of the film, thanks to the tremendous efforts of La Cinémathèque française, complete with a brand-new orchestral score composed by Günter A. Buchwald and performed by the San Marco Orchestra.
Shot on location in the Austrian Alps and in Venice, Casanova portrays its dashing central player as living a sumptuous and flirtatious lifestyle, showing blithe disregard for the consequences that may ensue. Casanova’s risky adventures eventually complicate his way of life and he must flee Venice with vengeful husbands and law enforcement in pursuit. While on the run, however, his continued precarious behavior alerts his rivals and forces him into a life-or-death scenario.
This digitization of Casanova, undertaken by la Cinémathèque française, was completed from the safety fine grain of Renée Lichtig’s restoration of the film struck from the nitrate camera negative and an original diacetate stencil-colored reel in the collections of la Cinémathèque française, Paris.
BONUS MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- New Musical Score – A brand-new original orchestral score composed by Günter A. Buchwald.
- Interview – Composer Günter A. Buchwald briefly discusses his career and approach for scoring silent films, including the new score for Casanova.
- Image Gallery – Featuring original production, exhibition, and promotional materials.
- Souvenir Booklet – Limited edition booklet featuring new essays on the film’s history and significance; notes on the restoration process; and rarely seen production and promotional photographs.
- Subtitle Tracks – English, French, and Italian
- Reversible Cover Artwork